June 30, 2021

The Dance of The 17 Year Cicada

This was the year of the 17 year cicadas. Living in the south with my treasured woods behind my house, my family was witness to this odd occurrence. The last time this occurred, my oldest was just a baby and my youngest wasn't even born yet. And now, it was time for these creatures to emerge that were the same age and older then my children. Just a really weird thought. 


I am the spirit of a seven year old, trapped in a grown up body. I love nature and exploring in the woods and taking photos of tiny things is a passion for me. The sound of the newly morphed cicadas was painful to the ears at times, and my dogs were eating them non stop as they would fly around us, into us, and plopping down beside of us. Thankfully they are harmless and their life cycle is so interesting. But for now, I will hush about that and share with you my dedication to the 17 year cicada.


 Yes, I used some of the thousands of left over shells, painted gold of course, so that these gorgeous dancing cicada fairies could spread their wings and perform. 


For more info about the 17 year "Brood X" Cicadas, there is a wonderful article at the link below.



Just as I watched this cicada emerging and spreading it's wings, I decided to be extremely odd and make this project.


I instantly fell in love with this Art Nouveau Matchbox Theatre Facades Collage Sheet, which is included in this months Matchbook Theater Kit over at Alpha Stamps. The Matchbook Theater Box is also included, along with other items I used. You can find all of my supplies by clicking on the link below.


One of my favorite parts of this little display is the way I distressed the already textured Aqua Tones Canvas Texture Cardstock Paper and then used a copper (Pearlescent Rust) ink to "age" it. The two colors look so wonderful together. The ink adhered to the scored surface and edges as well which adds so much character. 


I used several shades of the "aqua tones" paper and different sizes of circle paper punches to make "scallops" of rolled paper as a decoration for the top of my cicada theatre. I rolled each circle tightly on a small paintbrush, then dabbed the edges with the same copper ink. 


And finally, I dabbed the ink over all of the metal items I used, to make them all blend together more, since each one had it's own patina. 


Sadly, the cicadas have finished their business and are all gone. But I will always have this little shrine of sorts to remember the memories my family, dogs and I made during their 2021 visit. Next time they come out, I will be 69 years old. Now that is a crazy thought! 




Until we meet again! 

xoxo 
Rhonda...

No comments: