April 16, 2016

Une place dans mes rêves (A place in my dreams)





For the past few months, I've had this reoccurring dream that I lived in a little cottage in the woods by Petit Trianon. I was the lead cook for Marie Antoinette and she treated me with such respect and care. 



What a welcoming door with so many details and such sturdy hinges and door latch. Looks intimidating to create, but far from it. I used this Rustic Door, Black Strap Hinge, and an Old Fashioned Door Latch. Just add glue and the color of your choice! 




It was so peaceful there in the woods with all of my animals and birds around. I loved the smell of the air and the way moss grew all around. 


This window with shutters looks difficult, but it was far from it. Everything you need is included Dollhouse Windows with Shutters





House created using Deep Open Front Room Box


And I always felt so wonderfully alive in my kitchen that was stocked with the best quality of foods and every type of pot, pan and tool I could ever need to create a delicious dish with.


I spent many hours in comfort in front of my large fire place, baking breads and making stews and more.












My cats were always near and gave me so much companionship. I guess I was the original "Cat Lady".














I had the best red ticking fabrics to make my table clothes and towels with. I even embroidered my own initials on them.





I even had indoor plumbing and a massive stone sink. 





Often, I would look out the window and see Marie out with her friends enjoying the day. 






I often prepared for huge feasts for the other servants and myself. Marie encouraged it and was always appreciative of our hard work.






Those who know me, know that I have to have things written in French. Thank you Google Translate, lol.








Many happy memories were made at my little home, my beautiful kitchen, at "Une place dans mes rêves".


I am sad that my project is complete, but if just one of you see it and become inspired, then it is worth it! Lots of research and ideas were thrown back and forth between myself and the Queen of Alpha Stamps (aka Leslie). If you visit the link below, you can see some of the pictures that inspired me and how I used them in my own work. 


Now I'd like to show you some details about a few items, but feel free to send me a message or leave a comment with any questions you might have. I just have so much to share with you about the process and how everything fell into place. Now if I could only find Alice's "Drink Me" bottle. 

First I would like to show you how I created my brick and stone walls. It was a trial and error, but after trying a difficult method, I found a much easier way.



The fireplace was a very important element that I wanted to get just right. After playing around with some ideas, I decided that I needed to make a fireplace alcove, a spot for a fire, mantle, shelf, etc. 


I had recently gotten a new TV that came with some awesome packaging. Not that I hold onto all of the packaging that comes my way, but this had potential and sure enough had another purpose. The cardboard was lined with the perfect thickness of Styrofoam which aloud me to have wall support and an area for a fire and pot.






I carved out a spot, added some more Provincial Cobblestone Scrapbook Paper (rubbed down with black ink to make it appear burned), some Paperclay bricks, and loved the end result.





A second piece of plane black paper created the spot that leads up to the "chimney" and some sticks from my front yard made a nice fire. 



The Styrofoam also gave me an area to securely run my "post" through so that my pot could be raised and lowered when hot.


For my fire I used the fire from the Retching Toad Eatery Collage Sheet, then drizzled on some Liquid Pearls in RougeCantaloupe, and Pumpkin. Gently heat with a heat gun and the colors will bubble and blend together. 


Another easy project was my dry sink. Everything you need is ready to go, all you need is a little glue. 




I was then able to make my dry sink look like actual wood by attaching sections of paper from My Minds Eye 6x6 Paper Pad - Wood Necessities









For the stone sink I used good ole Creative Paperclay*. I simply sculpted it into a rectangular sink and once dry, sanded to make smooth. 


I hope you have enjoyed your visit to Une place dans mes rêves and I am so happy that you stopped by. 




Come visit again soon! 






Supplies Used:





11 comments:

Betsy Skagen said...

Simply a stunning labor of love.

Tristan Robin said...

Absolutely gobsmackingly amazing. I am overwhelmed. Your attention to detail and ingenuity is admirable. My mind boggles at the idea of attempting such a remarkable construction!

Nichola said...

Bravo!

Leslie said...

Wow! Just beautiful!

L Mahaffey said...

It's spectacular, Rhonda! Such fun to look at all the details and your blog post was great to read!

Shannon Cooper said...

Amazing!!! Every detail is perfect. Wow is right!

debi said...

Rhonda, this is gorgeous!!! You've put such wonderful detail into this beautiful little kitchen. You make me want to get to work on my doll house. Thanks for sharing.

Teri Calia said...

Spectacular! So much to drool over! I love what you've done :)

sheilaAR said...

Fabulous work and attention to all the minute details! Love your charming story, Rhonda!! This is a wonderful project and clearly a labour of love for you...and a delight for us all. xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Rhondamum this art piece of yours makes me miss my doll house days. There is nothing I do not love about this piece from those ears of corn to that wonderful brick fireplace. Such attention to detail I feel as though I could move in a start cooking. The fireplace pulley and those copper pots! I love the view from the window and all the breads and pets lol. It is just a wonder from top to bottom. Do you rent to vacationers? What a shame we can't find that 'drink me' bottle... Not even an 'eat me' cake!

NikkelFarm Contests Now said...

Just beautiful💖