May 18, 2016

Alice, Sweet Alice - A Triptych

Have you seen the new kit from Alpha Stamps? It's "Alice in an Altoids Tin Kit" and it is just bonkers and mad with delight!


Let's face it, creating anything with an Alice in Wonderland theme is always a great adventure. These fun Small Hinged Tins along with the Small Altoids Tins Triptych Frames give you lots of room to create.  The frames can be used with or without the tins so imagine all of the possibilities. 


I added lots of goodies within my tins including mushrooms, flowers and even a tiny sugar and creamer charm.



The Mad Hatter's hat looks so dimensional, but it is actually flat and from the Tiny Chipboard Alice Props. I used Distress Stain in Black Soot lightly in the middle and darker on the edges. Then I highlighted it with a white paint pen and a white stamp pad. Little touch of the finger to the pad then dab, dab, dab. 


I did the same thing with this trio of mushrooms from the Tiny Chipboard Alice Props but used some Liquid Pearls in Rouge to give it even more dimension.


To hold each tin upright, I cut a small piece of foam (one of those things laying around that "might be used" one day) into three pieces. I used pages from an old French novel to cover the tins, the triptych frames and the foam cubes. To age the pages a bit, I added a touch of Metallic Distress Paints in Antique Bronze and rubbed it a bit with a paper towel to blend it in more.  


So, did I trick you? Did you think I painstakingly measured and attached these Small Box Latches so they would line up just so and be connected? Well, I could do it if I had to, but I didn't. I cheated.  I gave them a little gluing and attached them to only one triptych. Sometimes ya gotta think outside the latch, or box. 



All of the metal items I used, (latches, filigree, bead caps, etc.) look like the same shade but didn't start out that way. Distress Paints are awesome for this very reason. They can be used on metal to give any piece you have, the color you want. For the matter, the Distress Stains are great for this purpose too.


For the Mad Hatter's table, I actually used these miniature sugar and creamer charms. I simply cut two small slits into the "table" and then glued each piece into the space. 



Each tin gives just the right amount of space to add so many details. And by adding some Leafy Green Underbrush*, I've created the illusion that they are all at the same table having some tea. 



Hopefully I have inspired you to create something yourself. I appreciate your visit and hope you will comment and visit again soon!

Rhonda...


Supplies Used:

2 comments:

Nichola said...

So sweet! I love how you used those closures as hinges.

sheilaAR said...

Adorable! This is one of my favorite Alice projects yet. A magical window into a timeless wonder-land. xo