May 25, 2016

Alice, Sweet Alice Part II

I love new art challenges! This month, with Alpha Stamps "Alice in an Altoids Tin" kit, there were too many cool items to leave out. I had this crazy goal in my head to do a hinged tin book that also opened in the middle and had pediments. I was shocked to have succeeded. 


The Oddities Box Doors and Windows is one of my favorite collage sheets that Alpha Stamps offers. Imagine my delight when this new version, Doors & Windows Book Covers, was made . It fits perfectly on the Altoids Tin Book Covers which I used two sets of on my hinged Alice book. 





This larger tin, obviously, has a lot more room to play in then the Small Hinged Tins  used in my previous post. I was able to create a larger scene using both sides of the tin. And the images from the Tenniels Alice Collage Sheet made it that much easier, once I stopped over thinking it. I was trying to force more of the collage sheet in, then decided to just trim out what I needed and use my imagination more on the backgrounds.


One of my favorite things to do is use several copies of the same image. For example, Alice, Humpty Dumpty and the Cheshire Cat all contain three layers of the same image. The first one is place flat on the tin, the second one is placed over that with White Adhesive Foam on Roll and the third layer is just the outer most part (Alice's dress, Humpty's body, and the Cheshire cat's face) attached again with the White Adhesive Foam on Roll . It brings more dimension and "wonder" to the piece. Get it? Wonder.... Wonderland, lol.






Another trick I used was to gently remove the tins from one another. There are two flat metal pieces that hold the tins together. By separating them, I was able to have more control over the tin, more ease in opening, and more space to attach embellishments.



The Red Queen's scene was my extra little piece of wonder.  By using paper and some tulle for support, I made a secret opening using two more Altoids Tin Book Covers.


I placed a slice of Provincial Cobblestone Scrapbook Paper in the center of a larger piece of the same (the back side). I knew a little spot of the paper would show and I wanted it to blend in with the rest of the tins. 



Next I added a layer of tulle netting to give it some extra durability. 



Making sure I had enough room for the book covers to close, I glued them down with a small gap in the middle. 



After it dries for a few, trim, fold and move on to putting the whole piece together.


Using glue, I attached my tin, by eye, to the folded section I created. Give it some time to dry and then attach the second half. 


Follow with the front and back covers.



Isn't it awesome! Proud art moment!






So, do you like what you see? Did I inspire you? I'd love to hear from you. I always see all these visitors (which I love), but rarely receive any comments. I know, I'm guilty of visiting blogs and not leaving comments enough, but now I'm asking you to. Thanks for stopping by!

Rhonda...

Complete Supply List

 21mm Fancy Round Filigree  21mm Fancy Round Filigree
 
 Alice in an Altoids Tin Kit - May 2016  Alice in an Altoids Tin Kit - May 2016
 
 Altoids Tin Book Covers  Altoids Tin Book Covers
 
 Antique 3D Gold Crowns  Antique 3D Gold Crowns
 
 Antique Gold Square Filigree  Antique Gold Square Filigree
 
 Blank Altoids Tins  Blank Altoids Tins
 
 Brick Wall Chipboard Texture Sheet*  Brick Wall Chipboard Texture Sheet*
 
 Bronze Suitcase Latches*  Bronze Suitcase Latches*
 
 Bronze Teacup & Saucer Charms  Bronze Teacup & Saucer Charms
 
 Distress Ink Pad - Vintage Photo  Distress Ink Pad - Vintage Photo
 
 Distress Paints - Peeled Paint  Distress Paints - Peeled Paint
 
 Distress Spray Stain - Crushed Olive  Distress Spray Stain - Crushed Olive
 
 Distress Spray Stain - Vintage Photo  Distress Spray Stain - Vintage Photo
 
 Doors & Windows Book Covers Collage Sheet  Doors & Windows Book Covers Collage Sheet
 
 Fancy Ric Rac Ribbon - Pale Blue  Fancy Ric Rac Ribbon - Pale Blue
 
 Frolic Adorn Scrapbook Paper  Frolic Adorn Scrapbook Paper
 
 Frolic Friendship Scrapbook Paper  Frolic Friendship Scrapbook Paper
 
 House of Roses on the Porch Scrapbook Paper  House of Roses on the Porch Scrapbook Paper
 
 Leafy Green Underbrush*  Leafy Green Underbrush*
 
 Medium Glass Trumpet Flowers - Sapphire Blue  Medium Glass Trumpet Flowers - Sapphire Blue
 
 Mini Rose Buds - Pink Cream Variegated*  Mini Rose Buds - Pink Cream Variegated*
 
 Miniature Daffodils in Window Box  Miniature Daffodils in Window Box
 
 Provincial Cobblestone Scrapbook Paper  Provincial Cobblestone Scrapbook Paper
 
 Tenniels Alice Collage Sheet  Tenniels Alice Collage Sheet
 
 The Red Queen Collage Sheet  The Red Queen Collage Sheet
 
 Thin Looped Dresden Borders - Red  Thin Looped Dresden Borders - Red
 
 White Adhesive Foam on Roll  White Adhesive Foam on Roll
 
 Wild Card Shuffle Playing Cards Scrapbook Paper  Wild Card Shuffle Playing Cards Scrapbook Paper
 
 Window Pediment - Bonnet  Window Pediment - Bonnet
 
 Window Pediment - Federal  Window Pediment - Federal
 
 Yesterday Papillon Scrapbook Paper*  Yesterday Papillon Scrapbook Paper*
 

2 comments:

sheilaAR said...

I just had another look at this project to drink up all the details for later...thanks for all the steps and tips! It's fanciful and wonderful.xo

dyeandpigment said...

wow, wow, wow. This is just amazing and I am going to try making one of these. Thanks so much for sharing your creation.