August 5, 2017

It's In The Cards

My mother loved tarot cards. She had over 100 decks and even designed a dragon themed deck of her own. Each drawing was so detailed and she even sold them. For her birthday, Mother's Day, and even Christmas, I would often give her a gift certificate, good for the deck of her choice. She would run into the store with such excitement. I let out a chuckle with the newest kit from Alpha Stamps titled, "Cards & Constellations" and knew it would be no problem whatsoever, for me to design a few cards of my own. After all, I've had so much experience thanks to Mom.


This months kit is "decked out" with so many possibilities. I really loved these new 12x12 papers, Small Blue Mosaic Scrapbook Paper  and Large Blue Mosaic Scrapbook Paper


Above I used the Spider Web Wrought Iron Playing Card. I didn't want it to have a web, so I trimmed a bit of the design off to make it my own. Below is the Stars Playing Card  design which amazed me because there are so many tiny details. 




I wrapped each card on one side with gold wire threaded with tiny seed beads and topped off with a charm. The charm and the direction of the card when dealt could have separate meanings.



I used mini cards on both ends of the Spider Web Wrought Iron Playing Cards to also give more meaning to the card. Not that I am actually doing a "reading". I just like lots of unique touches within my work.


For both of the "Stars Playing Card", I made sure that a star was shown shining on both ends of the card. I used Night Sky Watercolor Scrapbook Paper  and Seize the Night Scrapbook Paper to achieve this effect.
   




To give each of my cards an antique look, I first covered them with metallic paints and sprays, along with a dab of thick gold paint.



Next, I heated the entire card with an embosser until the inks and paints bubbled. It's one of my favorite odd techniques. 


I wonder what is "In the Cards" for me? Hopefully many more cool art projects to create. I hope I've added some creativity to your future. 



Thanks for visiting!
xoxo
Rhonda...

For Mom - I love you so much, always and forever. Thank you for being mine and for giving me such a creative life. I miss you so much. R...

Complete Alpha Stamps Supply List

4 comments:

Teri Calia said...

Beautiful!! Love the rusty look of the chipboard :)

L Mahaffey said...

These cards are stunning. I love the texture you put on them. And the color!!!!

Kitty said...

Such a lovely tribute to Mom. I appreciate your words at the end. Your cards are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Rhonda these are beautiful! I have a collection of cards also and have always wanted to make my own. I particularly love the bubbly antique borders. I had some tattered angels spray colors that could be used for that effect but I am wondering if any paints would do? I wish you would make a The and tell us what you used. :) thank you so much for sharing your ideas and work! I always look forward to your work and book mark various pieces so I can revisit them for inspiration. I keep coming back to there lovely cards.Thanks again :)