November 26, 2011

My Beloved Studio

I'm so blessed to have a space I can call my own.  Personally, I think all Moms should have one and be able to escape and have some "me time" on a daily basis.  Life has been busy, especially with helping Mom and Dad since Dad had his knee replaced.  He has had an amazing recovery though.  Mom has gone from being the "hoarder" that grew up during the Depression, to the "get rid of it I'm never going to use it" gal.  Because of her early Dementia, I immediatly take things out of the house and put it in the car so that she will not sort through it again.  So now, my house is stuffed!  I have been getting rid of stuff as well, so my hubby just gets to make even more trips to the local thrift shop to drop it off.  I'm pooped! But late at night, when the kiddos are in bed and I have a bit of time to myself, I just start to obsessively sort and arrange. I enjoy it and it helps me feel like I have accomplished something for myself during the day.

I have rearranged my studio and have also gathered "collections" of items together more.  I had no idea I had so many of my favorite German doll heads until now!  I love having them all on this shelf with antique photos behind them.  I've been organizing my art materials into non viewable spots more and keeping my treasures out all around me. 



I love my treasures on this book shelf.  It holds all of my old ledgers, photo albums full of tin types, old diaries found on ebay and other cool items.  I seem to be obsessed with old medical items at the moment. And whats not to love about a collection of old doll heads!


And of course my Halloween corner is a visual favorite!  I have some more lovely art from friends to add to this spot and how bout those old motorcycle goggles on my phrenology head!  LOVE IT!


This spot used to be home to my vintage glass glitter.  Now it is a spot to display my favorite vintage pictures and tins, ephemera and toys, phone dials, harp strings, number "7"s, cow bells, shaving goods, artwork, pocket watches and more.  I sometimes just stop on my way past and stare.



I also have my composition dolls all together now along with some newer dolls below.  They are all able to see me now as I work at either of my desks and each have their own doll to keep them company. 

I found the Marie Antoinette doll on ebay one night while looking for a Marie Antoinette doll dress for my Blythe.  I'm still looking.  Anyone out there know where I can get one or know someone who can make one for me?  About a month later, I found her sister on the left at a local shop.  About a month after that, my BFF and I were out at the flea market one day and she found the beauty on the right in her original box.  It is so worn and dirty, but it is just a treasure to me.  Poor things head fell off and is just barely holden on, but like I tell my girls, she was once very loved and should still be loved now.

So theres just a little peak into my newer studio.  I missed "Where Bloggers Create" this past year, but still need to show how my beloved studio has changed over the past year.  I have some great items like old dressers, a library card catalog and other great pieces and have rid my space of plastic drawers.  I love my space and thank God and my husband for it every single day.  I hope you have a space to call your own as well.  If not, demand it.  You deserve one too!  Thanks for stopping by!

XOXO

6 comments:

Gail said...

Rhonda,
Thanks for the tour! What a lovely space, I had to laugh with all the doll heads and old photos. I have the same thing going on in my studio and I guess I'm never really "alone" in there..haha.
It's wonderful having your own space, agreed!

debi said...

Rhonda, I could spend hours just looking at all the fun things in your studio. Great space!

And I totally agree....we all need a space to call our own.

Rhonda said...

Oh, Rhonda it's gorgeous! I love the way your studio evolves with time.
Changing a little here and there.

I'm always torn in my studio, it's a spare bedroom and I want to display my collections but I need room for my supplies. Sigh...but I'm happy I have a place of my own to create in.

Talk to you soon, mon amie. xo R

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your doll collection!!! I recognize some of those cuties! I showed Chris and told him "See, I'm not the only one who collects dolls". And he said "It doesn't make it right". LOL!!! We are awesome and I know it :).
xoxo,
Kristin

Kris Dickinson said...

LOVE your studio and all your amazing collections! What a wonderful, personalized place you have my friend.

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

Look at all the wonderfulness! Love it all! Hugs!