September 27, 2010

Fabric Tags

I recently joined a fabric tag swap, hosted by the amazing Terri Gordon, with the Marie Antoinette Mail Art Group. The only problem was that I still had not learned how to use the sewing machine. Ugh! This swap, I thought, would force me to finally accomplish that task. And guess what? I finally did! Now granted, I am no seamstress, but I sure did have fun making these tags. And lucky for me, I love the shabby look because that was the goal I had in mind with these tags.



This is the first one that I made and I was really proud of how it turned out. I really wanted it to have that vintage feel to it like the goodies I get from my friend Rhonda at Paris Gal 56. She just listed some fabulous French inspired supply boxes. They are full of several great pieces to use in your art or to just display, because any room that has them feels oh so good.




Tag number two contains some wonderful trim that I purchased from Lilla at La Vie en Rose on etsy. Lilla makes the most wonderful goodies and many have a French theme.



Tag number three.


And tag number four is my favorite!




So now that I had the hang of it, I was off to create my tags for the swap. I printed up some images of Marie onto some cotton sheets that are made to use with ink-jet printers and copiers. www.jacquardproducts.com







I really enjoyed this swap and am thrilled to finally be sewing on a machine. It is amazing what you can do if you just believe in yourself and give it a go. Maybe in a year, I'll be making dresses for my little girls. OK, that's a pretty huge goal. I'm happy to just do little projects like these. Just remember, you'll never know if you CAN do it, unless you give it a go!

Many thanks to Terri, Rhonda, Lilla and all who inspire me, and to Terri for another great swap as well.


5 comments:

Jane Wetzel said...

These are just AMAZING!

Terri Gordon said...

Hi Rhonda, What a wonderful post, I am so proud of you, your tags are wonderful. I really love the all cream ones, soooo pretty. I hope you are having fun sewing. Keep up the great work. Have a wonderful week. Hugs, Terri

Sherry said...

Great advice Rhoda! Your tags are wonderful!! We'd never have known you were a novice at all. The recipients of your tags are sure to be delighted with them.

Rhonda said...

Rhonda, you have made me proud. Sewing is such a personal adventure, each of us sewing in a different direction. It excites me to sit down and not know what will happen sometimes.

I am smiling at your post, you sew so much better than I did in the beginning. See, you are a natural.

When you begin to create this way, there is no stopping you.

I bet your husband is in awe of your work.

Jan Thomason said...

i love each of those tags!!
any one of them sould look amazing next to my hanging m.a. piece you made for me in a swap:)

i'm doing my bedroom a bit over and it's looking more and more m.a. - i need me a fabric tag!! i'll see what i can make up! LOL

i miss you, girl.
i hope you're well.
when you get a minute, catch me up.
xxxooo, jan