June 5, 2008

Please Pray...

Today is not a good day. It's a day that shows how short life is, and how the little stupid things that we deal with on a day to day basis just don't matter. It is a day that you don't want to experience in life, a day that you hope will never happen to you and is like a punch in the face when it does.

My mom is one of my best friends. In fact, both of my parents are. We are more like siblings, hang out, have lots in common and I have quality time with both of them. My dad and I have traveled together, go out for sushi, etc. My mom and I share our love of altered art, shopping, and ghostly encounters. I am very close to my parents, very close to them both. I never thought I would be one of those people who lived in the same town as my parents as an adult, but I wouldn't have it any other way. They are amazing grandparents as well and my daughters adore them.

My mom, who is 70, had a biopsy on Monday. I was really bummed, because I didn't get to talk to her before they (my mom and dad) left for the doctor. I called, but they were already on their way. I tried to just not even think about it. What good would that do? She has had lumps before, cyst that have been easily taken care of. This mass was different.

Today, my mom went back to the doctors for the results. I knew her appointment was at 9:00 and I called their home and cell phone every 30 minutes or so. When my mom finally answered, around 11:30 she just acted "normal". I finally said, "Well, how is everything?" She replied...

"Oh, it's malignant."
I am not doing well right now with being strong about this and my dad is a lost puppy dog without her. He is a worrier and is constantly analyzing things as it is. Especially over the last few years since his retirement.
We are all aware of cancer, of checking our breast and the benefits of early detection. My mom has mammograms yearly, and we are lucky because we have caught it as early as we have. Why do I say "we"? Funny that I just thought of that. It isn't my breast that has to be operated on. But the fact is, we all "know" cancer. We all know someone with it, or has had it, or has been effected by it.
I don't know what this new road has in store for me or my mom, or dad, or my daughter's or sister or grandfather or friends or my husband that my mother adores. I pray that it is a very short road with a successful crossing.
I am devastated right now! Please, please, please, keep my mother in your prayers. She will get an MRI next week and meet with the surgeon.
My mom IS amazing and one of my best friends. Prayer is the key to life!
Enjoy this beautiful day, that is still a blessing in so many ways, and remember to not worry about all of the little petty crap that comes with it. As my mom loves to say, and even said today, "This too shall pass". She has such a positive attitude. I will too, once I am past the shock of it all. I am on my way to her house now with my girls to play in the sprinkler.
God Bless!
R...

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rhonda ~ My heart and my prayers go out for you & your Mom. My Mom has had 3 cancers and I recently finished a year long treatment for endometrial cancer. I feel your shock, sadness & pain. I will lift you up, cry with you, pray for you. Blessings. Emily. XOXOXO

Carolyn said...

Oh my dearest Rhonda !
i`m so sorry to hear of your sad news about your mom . Of course i will keep her in my thoughts and prays for you all . I`m glad to read she has a positive attitude to it , i`m not sure how i would react to such news myself , but i know you will stay strong for her to help her along the road to recovery .
I know you`re dad will worry , it`s natural to do so and let him know i`m sending my thoughts across the pond to you all .

Big hugs

xx

Kathy said...

R,
I am also very sorry to hear of this devasting news. It is one of those things we all worry about and fear. I can tell how much love you have for your family, just by your stories. We always think our parents will be there forever...I know I do. There has been sickness and scary moments...but I have them. As do you, love her, listen to her and be strong for her. I am like your Daddy it seems, I worry way before there is even a need to, I will pray for him as well. I know what that is like! I pray your mom has a very good outcome with this, some people have said that cancer changed their lives in a good way, hard to believe isn't it. I am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason"...I am sure your Mom will learn something from it all, and the fact that she is a positve thinker, all the better.

So to answer your plea, of course I will pray for her, for you and your family. I am so sorry your hurting so much, it is natural, becasue you love her.
I will be thinking of you...please email me any time.
~xx~
Kathy

Sherry said...

You know that you and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers...your whole family is.

As a 3 year bc survivor, you know that you can come to me for anything -- questions, venting -- anything. I'm here always.

I recall very clearly that feeling, that punch in the stomach when I was given the news. It will go away, it will. For now -- just be quiet and calm and reflect and think very, very positive thoughts. ♥

Nancy said...

Rhonda - you are in my prayers as is your mom. It's so hard to go through this with someone you love and I'm sure you have what it takes to do it.
Hugs and blessings, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rhonda, I'm away from home so have just logged on to find emails re the book and also your Mum. I know that I speak for everybody...if you feel that getting the book together helps you...well go ahead with it...but if you feel that it's too trying at the moment..leave it..it can wait..you and your Mum and family are what is important...know that we all send love and healing thoughts..our Mothers are so precious...love Christine

Beth Leintz said...

Rhonda- I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom- I'm sure you're a jumble of emotions and fear about her and your Dad. It's wonderful that you have such a great relationship with them. I'll remember your family in my prayers- because prayer is a powerful thing. I'm glad you & your girls had a chance to play in the sprinkler!

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh Rhonda, my thoughts will be with you and your family.
Alison

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sweet Rhonda...please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your special mom, you and your sweet family. I know how deep your love is for your family as it shows in everything you touch. I'm the same with mine. I am truly sorry that this is going on. Your mom's strength and courage is quite inspirational and demonstrates such tenacity in adverse times.

I truly know how you're feeling as about 3 years ago, my dear younger sister fought a tough fight with cancer and is a survivor. We are blessed that she has a second chance to live life to the fullest. We thank the good lord for protecting her and I will continue to pray for her safety, all those who need help and definitely your sweet MOM! Also, we just found out that my father-in-law has cancer (he's 72) suffered his second stroke 4 weeks ago and is on intense radiation treatments. Yet, he's still hanging in there. We celebrated his 72nd b-day and now we'll be celebrating this Saturday, his 50th wedding anniversary. I share this with you to give you hope and to continue living life to the fullest despite these obstacles. So, yes feel all those raw emotions but also live...love hearing that you're spending time with your loved ones and running through the sprinkles...that's what it's all about...(ps. I agree...you don't have to slave over our book...whenever you can...just be with your loved ones...if you ever need anything, I'm here for you!) xoxo Jo ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear your news concerning your dear mom. She sounds like a strong person full of life and fight. You will be her greatest asset to her in this "bump" in life's journey. Your mom will prevail because she is surrounded by so much love. Take care of her, your dad, and yourself. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Much love to you, Beth

Wanda said...

Oh, Rhonda..that sucks. I'll be thinking of you all.

Stephanie said...

Rhonda,
I am so sorry. I know that something like this just knocks you sideways for a while.
We'll be thinking of you, and remember to take time to take care of yourself, too, bc this is also going to be hard on you.
Love and hugs, Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Your family is in my prayers! I wish you comfort and peace!

Kathy said...

Hy sweetie~
Just sending another postive thought your way, and I hope your well. Thinking of you all~
~xx~
Kathy

Unknown said...

We don't know each other, but I ended up at your blog looking at your art.
I just wanted to tell you that I am praying for your Mom and all of your family, while you go through such a difficult time.
Wooly Hugs,
Trudy

Jan Thomason said...

Too funny.
I write you a convo on Etsy and instead of waiting until tonight to check out your blog, I'm nudged to check it out right now.
So here I am, reading your post and remembering that I asked you in my convo if you were a believer.
Uh, yeah.
It's things like that that make me laugh out loud.

Your post was beautiful and hard to read, both at the same time.

Ditto what I said in our convo.
Prayin' - prayin' for you, your mom and your daddy. I'll keep prayin', too, don't you worry about that.

One question....did YOU play in the sprinkler?

God bless,
Jan

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Rhonda, My prayers go out to your Mom...and to you and your family! Your mom is amazing in her attitude, she is one strong lady! I hope you find comfort in knowing that so many people are praying! ...and in the words of our Heavenly Father, "My grace is sufficient for thee!"

Hugs, Rhonda ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhonda! I will pray..and keep praying!
keep us posted..
XO
~Christine

4N6expert said...

Rhonda -
I was meant to read this blog today. I just happened to find your blog address tonight on an old e-mail, I thought I had lost it.

Rhonda, I know I am far away - but I am here for you if you need me. I will pray for your mom and for you, Chuck and the kiddies.

We love you guys so much and I am always thinking about you guys.

Your sister-in-law, Emily

Shanan Strange said...

Dear Rhonda: I am so sorry about your Mother. I will keep you, your Mom and Dad in my thoughts and prayers. The power of prayer is AMAZING and miracles happen every day.
Love,
Shanan

Jeanne said...

Rhonda ~
Holding your mom (and you ) in my thoughts and prayers. It's amazing how the God's love and the power of prayer can get us through anything, no matter how difficult.
xo
jeanne