ONLY ONE SPOT LEFT TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS BOOK SWAP.
I am so excited, so many wonderful and amazing artists have signed up! Our book is going to be AMAZING! Thanks to all and be sure to watch for updates. The flickr group is officially up and running. Lots of people have joined, I guess to watch the progression (60 + members) but limit is 24 participants. Don't worry, you WILL NOT be making 60+ pages.
Here is a shorter version of my swap info. If you would like additional information, please read longer post below or ask me. Thanks!
Many have commented on my long description. Sorry, I type very fast due to many college papers and my thesis.
1. Create one altered art page, emotion of your choice, written in french on the front of your page and English translation on back. You can go to this web site for help:
Images need to be from a vintage period, any time BEFORE 1940ish.
2. Page must be 4 x 5 (portrait) with a 1/2 inch allowance on top so that I can bind page into our book.
3. Limit of 24 participants, must leave comment on this post to participate.
4. You will make, at most, 24 copies of your original page onto CARD STOCK, embellish if you choose to do so and "sign" the back giving what personal info you would like. Please remember that this is a book and both sides of your page will be viewed.
YOUR BACK PAGE WILL NEED TO BE UPSIDE DOWN WITH THE PAGE ALLOWANCE ON THE BOTTOM TO ACCOUNT FOR TOP PAGE BINDING.
5. Send your finished pages to me.
I will bind all participant's pages into a book and send one book back to each participant. There will be a small fee for postage. I will cover the cost of binding, and book covers, front and back.
Pages must be IN MY HANDS by May 31st.
6. You may add swap button to your blog and join flickr group to post pics if you would like.
7. Please email me your email address and snail mail address.
There ya go, short and sweet. Again, longer description below. Merci!
Story of my idea comes before swap details. If you want to know just the details, skip down.
As you can see by my sidebar, I am addicted to swaps. I love trying to create something new, the challenge, and bringing a smile to someone else's face. When I learn that I have done so, it just brings me so much joy.
Last night, while trying to relax in the tub, my book in hand and my girls banging on the door screaming, "Mommy, can I come in" it occurred to me that I would love to host a swap. I pondered for a bit, I've created altered tins, clothes, boxes, etc. and have enjoyed them all. I really love to see lots of people's art work. I have been working on a "round robin" book with some friends of mine ( Marie, Val & Priscilla) and just love seeing the new work from each artist after it arrives at my door for a turn. I then thought about the swap I did with Mary Ann at Follow Your Bliss (oh my gosh Caz, I think I just did my first proper link).
Mary Ann is an amazing artists, as is her sister Jo, and she CRACKS ME UP! I love her sense of humor. She did a swap entitled "Itty Bitty Robin's Egg Blue Book Swap" and it was just an amazing experience. She gave us fantastic how to directions, has been binding our books and even did a group on flickr to post our pics. It was a huge learning experience for me, and a great joy to see all of the work from some very talented artists, and to know I will hold their work in my hands forever is just phenomenal.
So, then I thought about how I am obsessed with all things french. And the ball just started rolling form there.
Here is my swap idea......
Les émotions de l'échange de livre de cru de la France
In other words, the emotions of France vintage book swap. And don't worry about how well you speak or understand french. I had many classes in college, and I really paid no attention. I was young and stupid, especially since I went to France years later and really had no clue. I use the Dictionary.com Translator to translate my words for my art and you can too. Now here is how the swap will work.
1. Each participant will create one original altered page to copy for this book. The page should involve any emotion that you desire, love, hate, fear, anger, and the list goes on and on. I don't know your thoughts, but an emotion from France just seems to have so much more intensity to it. Therefore, your altered work must have a french vintage theme to it and most importantly, be written in french. But remember, that part is easy because you can just use the above link if you need help. On the back, you need to put the English translation. That is what I did on my page for Mary Ann's book swap, which you can also see on my sidebar.
2. Your page must have the following dimensions, 4 inches wide x 5 inches long, (portrait). This will allow you to fit four copies onto one 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper when you make your copies. IMPORTANT, you MUST leave a 1/2 inch allowance at the top of your page to allow me to bind it. I haven't decided exactly how I will bind it yet, either by tying ribbons (which is what I am leaning towards because it will look more "vinatge") or by actual binding with a book adhesive machine, but I do know I will be binding it ON THE TOP and my wonderful husband has thankfully offered to help me. That means you can add whatever materials you may want to the bottom or sides, but that is by your choice only.
3. I will limit the number of participants to 24 (if I am so lucky to get that many participants) and will then close the swap. Those of you who left a comment on my previous post about this swap and do want to participate can consider themseves "in" but will still need to email me their info and comment "yes" on this post. Thanks!
4. After we know the exact number, you can take your original copy and have it photo copied onto card stock, cut your page out, and embellish it however you choose, if you choose to do so. Again, your English translation should be on the back of the page, as well as your "signature" so that your artistic accomplishment will forever be engraved for others to see. You can also give whatever personal info you would like, email, blog address, shop, etc. if you choose to do so. Just remember that this is a book, and both sides of your work will be seen. YOUR BACK PAGE WILL NEED TO BE UPSIDE DOWN WITH THE PAGE ALLOWANCE ON THE BOTTOM TO ACCOUNT FOR TOP PAGE BINDING.
5. After you are done, you can send me your finished pages and I will bind them all together and ship the finished book back to each participant. I only ask that you include a small postage fee by mail, or through a paypal account that I will set up for us once I figure out what the postage fee will be. As far as the binding, cover page, and back page is concerned, I will cover the cost for that myself and create the pages. It will be worth it to have people contribute to my dream with their artistic abilities.
6. I will also start a group on Flickr so that everyone can post pics of their work on their own, if you so desire, for a "sneak peak".
7. PAGES MUST BE IN MY HANDS NO LATER THEN SATURDAY MAY 31ST, or sooner if you so desire. This gives you over one month to think about and create your page.
8. If you would like to participate, please leave a comment on this post. Once you have joined you can add the above picture if you like as a button to your own blog to show you will be participating in the swap.
9. Please be sure to send me your email address, snail mail address and any questions you might have to:
Merci tellement mes amis merveilleux !