July 6, 2016

Becoming A Steampunk Mermaid

To start off my summer, girls fresh out of school, my body decided to become sick for 2 1/2 weeks, like it's never been sick before. So I decided to go on a huge voyage, beneath the sea, to a place where Mermaids and Mermen live in both their native setting and in a huge steampunk community. I couldn't believe I discovered such a place and I was in awe with the sites that I saw. 




On one side, you can see the inside of the community's walls. There are places to relax, gather with fellow fishy friends and a train station. 


All Aboard!!! Tickets please!


Sometimes, the steampunk Mermaids miss their native ways and will journey out to visit. "The sea is calling and I must go".




The native Mermaids love to peek in the Steampunk Mermaid's world and often decide to join in on this marvelous place.


Every once in a while, you get the weird human that discovers this marvelous place. They just stare from outside like peeping Toms. Better not let the Mermaids catch you though. You won't like what they do. 






Sometimes, when the Steampunk Mermaids visit their native land, they bump into the giant Mermaids who are tricksters and like to play pranks like this one, grabbing onto their ship and giving them a big hug. 


And how bout this fish. Have you ever seen such a thing? Not only does it have a hand for a fin, but it has a jeweled propeller as well. What an odd critter! 


Speaking of jeweled propellers, how about a jeweled castle window. It was super easy to create! 


I placed my page on top of some plastic and weighed it down with a heavy container and paper punch. Just usin what was close lol. Then I filled the "windows" with Glossy Accents


Next, I filled the window with some of my favorite Iridescent Glass Micro Beads and gave it time to dry. The result was splendid! I used this same tecnique for another window and placed a Ceramic Octopus Bead in with some Aqua Micro Beads.




I bet you can't guess what I used to make my jeweled sea horse. Oh my gosh! That is correct, more Glossy Accents


As you can see below, this beauty has two layers, so you have lots of little segments to get creative with. I used Liquid Pearls, beads, shells, and so much more to my little buddy. 




Do you like my Octopus and Seaweed? I made it myself using a stencil and some Molding Paste. So simple, just lay down your stencil, dip your finger in the paste and rub it over the stencil. After you carefully lift the stencil off, let it dry and paint it how you like. I used Liquid Pearls as paint, making it puffy and more dimensional. 






Here's my octopus "window" I mentioned above. I think it looks great! 



I hope you've enjoyed my little sea adventure and that I've inspired you to create something. I always feel so gratified after creating. Come visit again soon! 

Rhonda...


Supplies Used:

Brass Patina Waterlily Ribbon Slide




3 comments:

Artfully Musing said...

What I wonderful piece, I just love it!!!

sheilaAR said...

This is marvelous!! I sure could use a visit to the mermaids right about now. Going to be over 100 today in the Deep South. Love all the colors and details and thanks for the tips and info! Wonderful project!!

Shannon Cooper said...

You've incorporated so many wonders into your piece! Love it!