February 16, 2019

The Dance of the Mermaids


After seeing this months "Letters from the Sea Kit" over at Alpha Stamps, I was swept away with a strong current to the depths of my minds ocean. There I found beautiful crystal waters and playful mermaids with gorgeous hair. 



It was easy to get lost in this project and I enjoyed every wave of creativity and how everything just flowed into place. I love it when that happens with my work!


I instantly thought of an aquarium of sorts after seeing this Fortune Teller's Booth. It was easy to imagine each window having it's own scene and seaweed and mermaids dancing from the top. I created my field of seaweed using cuts from the the below dies.

CottageCutz Elites Die Large Leafy Flourish
Sizzix Framelits with Stamps - Eucalyptus and Flourish




Wooden skewers were all I needed to hold the "seaweed", trimmed and painted with a little glue and layers of die cuts. After punching a few holes in the lid, the skewers slipped right in and I had an instant ocean garden.







Using the top two images on the Matchbox Nautical Clock Half Sheet, a crystal blue backdrop came to be. I blended the two images together using watercolor crayons and a white pen.




Swirly die cuts from the Feathery Flourishes Set created the flowing hair of my black haired mermaid.





I wanted the mermaid's tails to have scales, so I actually used several punched leaves from this Burch Punch using the Waves & Seaweed Solid-Color Paper Set. I added a squirt of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in different shades here and there.




I hope you've enjoyed your journey and that this gets you currents of creativity flowing. Thanks for stopping by!

xo
Rhonda...

No comments: