November 18, 2014

Everyone Enjoys A Good Cigar


Men and women alike visit humidors and love to relax with a nice cigar. Well, some do but not me. But I needed an intro! Love this months Cigar Box kit from Alpha Stamps!
 



I created both a masculine and a feminie mini cigar box using the new masonite Tiny Cigar Box. It was actually easy to personalize and get creative with.

 
Inside you will find some "cigar themed" ATCs using these richly colored and beautifully designed images from both the old and the new collage sheets at Alpha Stamps



For the inside of both boxes, I used distress paints, liquid pearls, alcohol inks and metal patinas to create a marble type look. These items can all be found under the "Paints, Pens, Colorants" section at Alpha Stamps. I have a bit of a tutorial on how I did it below. 


 


The masculine box has some cool vintage finds on it like the topper wooden cog and a Journalism medal from long ago. I made the bottom by attaching two oil lids together. 
 
For the "feminine" box I used lots of frilly lace and roses. 
 


 
Originally, I had started to use the mini cigar box model from the collage sheet Las Rosas Mini Cigar Boxes Collage Sheet. But I also knew I was using the masonite Tiny Cigar Box so I decided to cover the boxes myself with these new Cigar Box Secrets Line of papers. I love the colors and how the designs all go so well with one another. 




I used my previously cut out cigar box model and after tracing and cutting, scored the paper to make it easier to fold around the masonite box. 






 
I added distress paints, liquid pearls, alcohol inks and metal patinas as the beginning of my marbled effect.






I then dragged a toothpick through the inks to blend it along some and make it look more natural.



I heated all of the colors together with a heat gun. I literally cooked it until it bubbled, cracked and popped. Then it was time to put my box all together. 



 
As you can see above, I placed the box so that the leveled edges would be on the top. Next, I glued the paper to the box. 




I always smear the glue smooth with a finger so that the paper adheres more smoothy and doesn't contain lumps.





As you may notice, all of my paper edges throughout all of my work is "aged" with brown ink. I don't like my papers to have a white edge. They don't look as vintage then which is what I am all about. 



Before I attached my ribbon, I used the Cigar Box Secrets Mini Clear Stamp Set to add some extra richness with the Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint in Metallic Gold and Old Brass.



I really enjoyed this project and hope that it has been pleasing to your eye. Hopefully I have inspired you to try something new and get creative. Thanks for stopping by and come back soon! xoxo


Supplies Used:






No comments: