July 17, 2011

My Newest Piece of Art



I have always loved the collage sheet "Shrine Icons" made exclusively for Alpha Stamps by Teri Calia. I recently ordered not only a card stock copy, but a clear sticker sheet copy and transparency copy.  I love to layer the images and use them alone as well.  Just another thing I love about Alpha Stamps, is that they have this option with most of their collage sheets.

I found this shrine for 80% off at Joanns, so I scooped it up because I knew I would transform it into something wonderful.  It had an oriental feel to it, with swoops of wood that came off of the "roof".  I decided to remove them and then covered the seams with some Bronze Baroque Dresden.


Above I used some Bronze Thin Looped Dresden and some Copper colored Crinkle Wire. It was super easy to use, just stretch and wrap.



Above are some new Sacred Heart Charms that I painted with some No-Prep Metal Paint.  Then, I glued them to the original handles to tie in with the "theme".



I painted these Foundations (Box Feet) by Tim Holtz as well.  They are huge and very sturdy.


After distressing this shrine with a hammer, sandpaper, and inks, I glued on some of my collection of vintage Catholic charms and Crucifixes.  Just gave the shrine more of an old feel to it.



When you open the shrine, you are greeted with some more wonderful items.  The Sacred Heart images are more from the "Shrine Icons" collage sheet and I also used some other images.  More of my collection of charms rest on the shelves as well as some goodies from my friend Rhonda at A Little Bit French, and a vintage Holy Water Bottle from Paris.  Can you believe I found that right here in Tennessee? I know, shocking. And if you like handmade beauty with a vintage feel, you should visit Rhonda's Etsy Shop.  I have several other items that I am using to make a Mary collage. It's my favorite etsy shop so be sure to stop by.


For the inside of the doors, as well as the shrine, I added some gold leaf and added some brown ink over it to age it a bit.  I used the following Alpha Stamps collage sheets and put melted bees wax over them.  It gave it a really great effect.  I also used more Dresden to frame the images as well as some brass elements.















These images were actually ahdered to a piece of foam packaging.  It made it appear to be a actuall frame, but it's just all created from Dresden and these little Brass Box Feet.



I really love how my project came out, and how all of these things I have had for some time now, came together and united as one.  It's what I love about creating art work. I now have it proudly displayed in my master bedroom, but think I am going to put it on the mantle downstairs. 


I hope you like my shrine and that it has touched you in some way.  I hope your next project gives you as much pleasure as mine and a huge thanks to Alpha Stamps for inspiering me and having such wonderful items to stir my creactivity!

Thanks for stopping by! XOXO

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

OMG - is it okay to say that?
I adore this shrine. I had no idea this was what you were talking about it when you told me you were working on it.

I love everything about it. I especially love how you describe each part of this piece.

Fabulous shrine - Fabulous artist -

I was so happy to read you message this morning, it made me happy all day!!! wink wink xo Rhonda

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Rhonda,

The shrine is just wonderful. I will look forward to the Mary Collage. I'm very fond of Mary and her Immaculate Heart.

I wanted to tell you that I started a new blog to devote to my crochet and sewing. You follow my Queen of Dreamsz blog but I'd love you to follow me on my new blog since it's going to be my primary blog.

I'm devoting the Queen of Dreamsz blog to sharing all of my Vintage Images. I have a ton of old sewing patterns and booklets.

Drop by when you have a few minutes.

Hugs,
Stephanie Suzanne ♥
Queen of Dreamsz

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Really lovely my friend!!! xo

Terri Gordon said...

Hi Rhonda, Oh it is so beautiful. I love it. Thanks for sharing and I hope all is well my friend. Hugs, Terri

Lynn Stevens said...

Gorgeous Shrine!
hus Lynn