February 3, 2011

Fabric Hearts

Once again, my beloved MAMA group has helped me to grow. My dear friend Terri from Designs By Terri Gordon, blessed us with this pattern and even a tutorial on how to create one of these fabric hearts for our self.  I was a tad nervous, being new to sewing on a machine, but loved the idea and just had to give it a try.  After all, if you don't try, you will never learn. 


I had several vintage goodies to add to it as well that I had not used yet.  I tend to hoard them for a bit first.  On the outside there are several MOP buttons, (one in flower center that is more detailed and more strung onto seam binding) as well as a vintage brass laundry pin which holds the heart closed.





On the inside, I used a vintage flower, a vintage brass tag from Paris, vintage hat pins and some layers of lace.  When trying to decide what to put on the left side of the open heart, I realized I had "accidentally" made a pocket.  What a perfect spot for another vintage find, a frozen Charlotte doll.



"Hello. I'm a little frozen Charlotte doll with a loin cloth. Nice to meet you."

I really enjoyed this project and am looking forward to making more.  If you would like to see more, be sure to check out Terry's blog.  She also has some listed in her etsy shop, Terri Gordon, like the ones below.  In fact, these are her creations, but they belong to me now!  I just had to have them!



Photo Courtesy Terri Gordon


Photo Courtesy Terri Gordon


Photo Courtesy Terri Gordon


Thank you again Terri for an amazing challenge!

Now go try something new!  You'll be glad you did! xoxo

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am so happy you are up and sewing! You have no idea! You created a wonderful heart, Rhonda. Isn't Terri the greatest?

Wonderful artwork and I always knew you could do it.

xoxoxoxoxo Rhonda

Mollye said...

Oh sister girl, These are so fun, funky, and delightful. If I don't watch out you're gonna re-kindle my muse into getting back to the game of creating!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

I love these! So glad you are healing nicely...sewing is therapy..after all! ♥

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Terri Gordon said...

Hi Rhonda, I just love your beautiful heart, I am so sorry that I have not visited lately, it was a crazy week. I have to say you were so smart to put the lovely charlotte doll inside, your heart is such a keepsake. Thank you so much for featuring my Angel heart dolls, that was just so sweet of you. I am so glad that you are creating Rhonda. Have a wonderful restful and creative weekend. Hugs, Terri

Rella said...

You made such a beautiful heart and the frozen charlotte doll in a pocket is brilliant....your subconscious was spot on!! And two Terri Gorden designs?? Guess what? I have one, also. lolol

xox Rella
p.s. I'm so glad you left a comment for my heart gift away...tonight the name will be drawn as the twinkle lights flicker.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhonda! They're both so wonderful and creative... both yours and the inspiration!!
Have a great weekend!
xoxo,
~ Jo :)

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, Rhonda--I'm so happy to meet you!!! I love EVERYTHING here!! You're right--we have so much in common!!!
XO
P.S. I hope you'll head over to my magazine blog too...you'd enjoy it!

Laurie said...

Terri is great! Where did you ever get that little pin with the 015 on it?! I love stuff like that!